How to Tallow Wagyu Fat
Wagyu fat = the best spice around
It would be a shame to throw away the fat that comes out of Wagyu when it is cut. The fat part is very concentrated in flavor, and when used in various dishes, they're transformed with the added sweetness and remarkable taste of Wagyu beef.
How to Tallow Wagyu Fat:
・Wagyu fat (as much as you like)
・Water (same amount of Wagyu fat)
- Chop up the beef fat as finely as possible. Wagyu fat has a low melting point, so chop it up quickly after you take it out of the refrigerator and put it in the frying pan. The portions are only as much as you want to make.
- Add enough water to make the chopped beef fat runny, cover with a lid, and slowly extract the fat over low heat.
- Let the water evaporate slowly and carefully. The water will gradually evaporate and the oil will come out. If you turn the heat up to high, the fat will soon melt off, but it will be burnt and you won't be able to enjoy it, so the key is to keep the heat low and take your time.
- After about an hour of simmering, the water will completely evaporate and the fat will be fried by itself, and sizzling oil will start to seep out. From this point on, the fat will burn if left alone over low heat, so I extract the fat, stirring regularly to prevent it from burning. If you want the fatty bits to be crispy, cook them further. If you don't want the fat scum to be crunchy, you can finish it at this stage. The crispy fat shavings can be added to stir-fried vegetables or stewed dishes, which is another useful topping, so don't throw it away, but freeze it for later use.
- After removing the fat scum, leave it in the pan for a while to reduce the temperature of the fat. Be careful not to transfer the fat to the jars as it will break if you transfer it to the jars. Put the cooled fat in a jar and chill it in the fridge, and it's done!
- If you want it to last longer or if you get a large amount of beef fat, you can divide it into smaller portions for normal use and store it in the freezer for about three months. However, this shelf life is only a rough guide and it is recommended to use it up as soon as possible. Even when stored frozen, the quality of the product may deteriorate due to freezer burn and other factors. Even if it is frozen, it cannot be used if there is discoloration or other problems.
You can use it in various ways. You can use it to grill meat, fry vegetables, or add it to stew dishes for a richer taste. It is an all-purpose seasoning.
- Baked potatoes
- Garlic or fried rice