Tataki is a simple recipe for rapidly searing on the outside leaving the
inside rare, with delicious results. By searing Japanese Wagyu, it locks in the umami!!
Ingredients (for 2 people)
- Japanese Wagyu Rump: 350g (12 oz)
- Oil: 2 teaspoon
- Salt: 4 pinches
- Bring meat to room temperature by taking out of the refrigerator 30 minutes before cooking.
- Season meat with about 2 pinches of salt on each side
- Heat oil in a frying pan and sear meat for about 1 minute on each side over medium heat. Once meat is browned roasted on all sides, remove from pan and plunge in ice water to arrest cooking.
- Remove the meat and place in a heat-resistant ziplock bag.
- Release the air before closing the bag then cool it in a bowl of ice water for 15 minutes.
- Remove the meat from the bag, wrap it with a paper towel and leave it for 5 minutes.
- Remove the paper towel and cut into 1 cm (0.3 in) thick slices.
- This is great to have simply with Soy Sauce with Wasabi or with special sauce.
- Wasabi (or grated horseradish): 1/2 teaspoon
- Mayonnaise: 2 tablespoons
- Soy sauce: 1 teaspoon
- Lemon juice: 1 teaspoon
- Sake: 1 tablespoon