How to Make Sushi Rice
The base for making delicious sushi is sushi rice. Once you know how to make it, it's very easy to make Chirashi Sushi, Roll Sushi and Hand Roll Sushi. Here are tips and tricks for making sushi rice at home, just like at a restaurant.
- Rice: 200g (Amount for 10 piece of Sushi)
- Sushi Vinegar
- Rice Vinegar: 12g
- Sugar: 6g
- Salt: 3g
- Add the sugar and salt to the rice vinegar and mix well. The sugar and salt don't have to be fully incorporated into the rice as it is mixed into the cooked rice, but you can heat it up a bit in the microwave if you are concerned.
- Put the slightly hard-cooked rice in a bowl and pour the sushi vinegar around it.
- Using a spatula as a stand, mix about 10 times each lengthwise and crosswise in a cutting motion.
- Bring the rice on top of the bottom and mix it the same way, about 20 times. It's better to feel the quick unraveling rather than mixing.
- Transfer the rice to a large flat plate. Prepare something to blow the wind, as if the wind were blowing between the grains of rice.
- Cover it with a wet paper towel to prevent it from drying out and use it while it's slightly warm. Slightly warm is enough to unravel in your mouth.
The Golden Ratio is 4:2:1
The golden ratio of sushi vinegar is rice vinegar : sugar : salt = 4 : 2 : 1. If you can remember this ratio, you can easily make sushi vinegar without a recipe. Everyone has their own preferences, so adjust the ratio by adding less sugar if you want less sweetness or more salt if you want more saltiness.
Sushi vinegar can be stored in the refrigerator for about 2 to 3 months, so it's recommended to make a batch.