Wagyu Shabu Shabu & Sauce
Besides meat, dashi and sauce are the key to making great Shabu Shabu! Here's a step-by-step guide to make it yourself at home, just like at a restaurant!
Ingredients (for 2 people)
- Wagyu STRIPLOIN Shaved Meat or CHUCK Shaved Meat or CLOD Shaved Meat: 350 g (12oz)
- Dashi (see below how to make Dashi)
- Vegetables (whatever you like)
How to make Dashi (by kelp (Kombu))
Dried kelp (Kombu) 10g (0.35oz)
Water 800ml (27oz)
1. Wipe the surface of Kelp (Kombu) with a wet cloth and wrung out tightly. The white powder on the surface of the kelp is the umami component. If you wash Kelp with water, umami it will flow away.
2. Place the kelp in the water and let it soak for about 30 minutes.
3. After about 30 minutes, slowly heat it over low heat until just before the bottom of the pot comes to a boil with small bubbles
4. Turn off the heat just before it comes to a boil, remove the kelp and you're done!
*If you don't have kombu at home, you can use katsuobushi (dried bonito flakes) to make a broth. Heat about 800ml of water in a pot and when it comes to a boil, turn off the heat and add about 30g of dried bonito flakes. Leave it for about 2 minutes and when the dried bonito has sunk to the bottom of the pot, gently remove it with a colander and it's done! You can enjoy the flavor of katsuobushi and delicious dashi (soup stock) full of umami.
- Soy sauce: 2 tablespoon
- Mirin: 2 tablespoon (if you don’t have, you can use a 3:1 mixture of Sake and Sugar instead)
- Vinegar: 2 tablespoon
- Lemon juice: 4 drops
- Sesame seeds: 2 tablespoon
- Mayonnaise: 2 tablespoon
- Vinegar: 2 teaspoon
- Sugar: 1 tablespoon
- Soy sauce: 1 teaspoon
- Sesame oil: 1 teaspoon